Whatever do you mean? Your 20’s can be as sh*tty as you make them but, be careful! If you’re too reckless during your 20’s, you’ll spend a good bit of your 30’s cleaning up the mess you made in that previous decade. My early 20’s were beyond reckless. I partied, I loved, I ran away from home all the way to Atlanta, GA with $200.00 to my name and a dream. I was relentlessly impulsive but, at the time, I thought it was the right thing to do. I wish I had a “me” in my corner at that time – the “me” I am now. Truth is, this new generation will be fully aware of the hardships that come with your 20’s but I’m a 90’s baby and I must say, it hit us like a ton of bricks. The responsibility, the bills, the discipline that’s required, the failed relationships, the pressure to have it all figured out etc. swallows you whole – if you let it.
And the favored Y.O.L.O mantra can carry you through your 20’s and crush your early 30’s.
Be spontaneous, have fun, move to that new city, date that guy or girl, whatever, but this is what you should do in your 20’s as well:
- Eliminate your debt, student loan debt, credit card debt, car loans etc.
- Invest your money in the stock market, crypto, real estate, ETF’s, Roth IRA’s etc.
- Start a business
- Make beneficial friends (friends that can teach you something or friends that are eager to learn new things)
- Don’t lose yourself in other people (i.e personal relationships)
- Don’t be super impulsive, try to think things through first
- Build your credit
- Don’t adopt non-lucrative habits (excessive drinking, weed smoking, eating out etc.)
- Don’t categorize “wants” as “needs”
- Try new things, shift careers, take courses, learn, learn, learn!
Those 20-somethings, what a wild ride – but don’t make it too wild, riddled with regrets and what if’s. Make calculated moves, make some spontaneous ones as well and enjoy the decade.
You got this!
If you found this article helpful, insightful or just plain old necessary please share and repost – it’s free and I’d gladly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.